Many vendors have asked the question…”how should I pack my gear for shipping”?
Here are the 7 best practices to prepare your freight for transport.
1. It’s better to pack multiple items in individual small boxes – it protects them from damage during transport:
- Make sure the boxes are full, with no air in them. Air causes items to get crushed and damaged inside the box during shipping. You can cut the box corners to adjust the size.
- Use packing materials like packing peanuts or bubble wrap.
- When taping your boxes shut, more is better, otherwise your boxes could open in the middle of shipment or could tear along the edges.
2. Stack boxes together, carefully, and evenly:
- Staggered by size or aligned boxes is preferred.
- Always, put heavier boxes at the bottom and lighter boxes at the top.
- Make sure boxes aren’t overhanging or misaligned on the pallet. The pallet should act as a bumper otherwise boxes may move and be damaged.
3. Distribute weight evenly when possible, both inside each box and in terms of the placement of boxes on the pallet. You don’t want all the heavy boxes on one side of a pallet because it makes the whole pallet less stable.
4. Placing flat, empty cardboard every couple of rows, helps to stabilize loose boxes.
5. Before wrapping, put cardboard corner beads around the pallet to strengthen the whole pallet once wrapped.
6. Shrink wrapping:
- Don’t be shy with the shrink wrap: wrap 3 or more times (once or twice isn’t strong enough).
- Use quality shrink wrap – can be purchased from most hardware and/or shipping companies
- Wrap only the top part of the pallet but not all of it – the pallet needs to be accessible to a forklift but you don’t want the pallet to separate from the boxes when the forklift tilts.
- As you wrap your boxes, twist the wrap for more strength.
7. To make your shipment even more secure, after shrink wrapping, strap it from top to bottom to the pallet with nylon strapping.
If you have any questions about getting your shipments properly packaged before shipment feel free to reach out to me at (866)669-GEAR.
Shipping and Operations Manager