1974 was a great year for music! Here are just a few updates from an amazing year in music.
- Released in Dec. 1973, the Paul McCartney and Wings album, Band On The Run, would go on to be the top selling album of 1974 hitting #1 in both the US and UK.
- Joni Mitchell’s album Court & Spark goes to #2 US, #14 UK. The album includes jazz elements added to her folk style and provides her with her only Top Ten US Single “Help Me”.
- Bob Dylan, backed by The Band, releases his 14th studio album Planet Waves. The album charts at #1 US, #7 UK. This is Dylan’s first #1 album in the US.
- Jersey City, NJ funk band Kool and the Gang have a top five US hit with the single “Jungle Boogie”.
- L.A. songwriter and producer Barry White’s instrumental “Love’s Theme” goes to #1 US, #10 UK for The Love Unlimited Orchestra. In Sep. his deep bass voice takes him to #1 US, #8 UK as a solo artist with “Can’t Get Enough Of Your Love”.
- NYC band Kiss release their debut album which sells a respectable 75,000 copies without a hit single an charts at #87 US.
- Toronto, Ontario rock band Rush release their debut album, add a new drummer Neil Peart, and go on their first US tour. The album charts at #105 US, but fails to chart in the UK.ll works, Canadian Terry Jacks has a #1 hit in the US and UK with the single “Seasons In The Sun”.
- London singer David Essex has the first of many top ten hits in the UK and his only US hit (#5) with the single “Rock On”.
- American band Steely Dan hit the top five in the US with the single “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number” and have a #8 US, #37 UK album with Pretzel Logic
- Diamond Dogs, the 8th album from UK artist David Bowie, goes to #1 UK, #5 US. The single “Rebel Rebel” goes to #5 in the UK, #64 US.
- Swedish band Abba win the Eurovision song contest with the “Waterloo” and take the single to #1 UK and #6 US.
- K supergroup Bad Co. have a #1 US, #3 UK debut album and a #15 UK single “Can’t Get Enough”. The group is composed of former members of Free, Mott the Hoople, and King Crimson.
- The third album from UK progressive rock band Supertramp, entitled Crime of the Century, goes to #4 UK, #38 US.
- Electric Light Orchestra have a US Top Ten single with “Can’t Get It Out Of My Head” and a #16 album, but fail to chart in their UK homeland.
We look at what musical instruments were being play during this amazing time in music…check out this great guitar from 1974. Gibson 1974 J-50 Acoustic Guitar The J-50 is an icon in the acoustic guitar world, and the J-50 Modern Classic is no exception!
The J-50 was released by Gibson in 1947 as the natural finished version based on Gibson’s popular J-45 round shoulder. In the early years of the J-50, players like blues legend Lightnin’ Hopkins loved his trademark J-50. The current offering of the J-50 is Gibson’s commitment to their heritage of building guitars of great character, so much so, most of them are now “celebrities” like the artists that played them and/or are as well-known as the instrument icons of each era they have contributed their distinct sound to. Singer/songwriter legend Emmylou Harris grew up with a J-50 as her “first good guitar.” Folk legend Gillian Welch is always performing with her trademark Gibson J-50.
1974 Gibson J-50 Deluxe With NON Original case. This guitar is vintage but beautifully aged. Binding has checked and cracked in spots but has been repaired. This is a great guitar for the collector.